Welcome!

It is not the end that defines the traveler, but the journey.

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Flexible Edits





1 & 2. Splash of Life: 1-20-2011; 10:31 a.m.; Rexburg; f 6.3; 1/40; Canon PowerShot SX130 IS 
Edits made to the original include an increase in contrast, brightness, and vibrance. Saturation was also heightened.

3 & 4. Water Flower: 1-20-2011; 10:27 a.m.; Rexburg; f 8.0; 1/40; Canon PowerShot SX130 IS
In Photoshop, I added more contrast, slightly increased vibrance, and added some color saturation to make the flowers really pop.

 To create the second version of "Splash of Life" all I did was select the adjustment layer icon at the bottom of the layer's pallet. Once selected, a list of all the different adjustment layers appeared. I decided to use the Black & White option. Wanting to show the color through the rain drops, I clicked on the mask that came with the adjustment layer. Using a soft edged brush, I selected black paint and colored in all of the droplets. The black paint created holes in the mask which allowed the colors to show through at 100% opacity. This took quite some time, but I think the picture was worth the effort. For my edited version of "Water Flower", I turned the photo into a smart object and added two smart filters. This method allowed me to remove the filters' effect from part of the photo. In this photo I chose to use the mosaic tiles filter and the ocean ripple filter. Using the mask and black paint, I decided to mask out the majority of the two big pink flowers on the left of the picture. I did not mask out the outside edges of the flowers because I liked the disintegrated look. 
 

3 comments:

  1. I think your first picture, splash of life, is very cool. Did you use the adjustment layer to make it black and white and then use to the mask on every single drop? Or is there an easier way to do that? Either way good job, the contrast of the green on the black and white background, especially with the way the water looks is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cristi, I really like your splash of life, I think you did a great job and you think outside the box. I really like the way the drops keep the color of the leafs. I also like your cat from your fauna and flora post. it's eye is a great focal point and the picture has a good quality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The color in those photos are unreal! That is such an amazing shot. I like the edit that you did and I think it worked really well with the vibrant colors. It's a very creative edit and came out really clean. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete