Welcome!

It is not the end that defines the traveler, but the journey.

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Study of Orange

 


 


 


 




 



1. Leaves: 1-12-2011; 12:53 p.m.; Outside University Courtyard; f 3.4; 1/125; Canon PowerShot SX130 IS 
This is my shallow depth of field shot. In Photoshop, I added sharpness to the veins in the leaves, slightly saturated the colors, adjusted brightness, heightened the contrast, and added a bit more vibrance. No blur was added.

2. Splash:1-15-2011; 10:25 p.m.; Apartment; f 3.4; 1/500; Canon PowerShot SX130 IS 
A tripod was used to capture this image. I also had to manually adjust the shutter speed on the 'Tv' mode. Flash had to be fired due to the lack of proper indoor light. Blur was added around the edges and contrast was increased. I also adjusted the brightness, color balance, vibrance, and saturated the table to pull out a nice orange-brown color. 

3. Candy Shop: 1-15-2011; 2:39 p.m.; Idaho Falls (Winco); f 3.4; 1/40; Canon PowerShot SX130 IS 
 Not much had to be done to the picture. Contrast was raised and slight adjustments were made to the saturate and vibrance.

4. City of Glass: 1-15-2011; 1:45 p.m.; Idaho Falls (Pier 1); f 8.0; 1/5; Canon PowerShot SX130 IS
Saturation, contrast, and vibrance were heightened. Brightness was lowered.

5. Cold Construction: 1-15-2011; 11:16 a.m.; BYU-I Campus; f 8.0; 1/100; Canon PowerShot SX130 IS 
This is my deep depth of field shot. I had to use a tripod in order to prevent blurring. A mask of sharpness was added. Contrast also was heightened. Levels and color balance was adjusted. Saturation was raised.

6. Sneaker; 1-15-2011; 12:29 p.m.; Idaho Falls (Ross); f 3.4; 1/30; Canon PowerShot SX130 IS 
Lowered the vibrance, heightened the saturation, raised the contrast and slightly increased the brightness.


 Orange is a bright, festive color that has many meanings and uses. Often orange is used on warning signs for construction or on clothing when people are hunting in the woods. Other times, orange represents fall and Halloween. At first I was nervous that I would not be able to find enough subjects for my shots, but, as I began exploring, I discovered that orange is everywhere! Although I took many photos throughout the week, many of them did not turn out very well; therefore, this weekend, despite the fog, I went on an excursion to see what I could find. "Splash" was by far the most difficult photo to take. In fact, the shot I selected was one photo from four sets of six. Even though I used a tripod and set my camera up to take multiple shots on a fast shutter speed, the timing was still very difficult to master. Also, since I had to use the flash, it slowed down how fast the camera could take each individual shot. "Leaves" and "Cold Construction" were both taken in Aperture Priority (AP) mode. I adjusted the size of the aperture to be small for the deep depth of field shot (f 8.0) and large for the shallow depth of field shot ( f 3.4). I posted more photos than four to add more variety, and because I couldn't choose between several of them.




1 comment:

  1. Cristi, I loved the color study you did, those are some fantastic and original shots. I also really enjoyed your brick wall blend, very original. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete