Welcome!

It is not the end that defines the traveler, but the journey.

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Borders







1 & 2. Candy Apple: 2-4-2011; 3:21 p.m.; Rexburg; f 5.6; 1/20; Canon PowerShot SX130 IS
This photo was edited in Camera Raw. Main edits include, raised fill light, slightly heightened blacks, raised contrast, clarity, vibrance, and saturation.

3 & 4. Ice Fall: 1-30-2011; 3:39 p.m.; Sugar City, ID; f 8.0; 1/160; Canon PowerShot SX130 IS
 Contrast, brightness, sharpness, clarity, vibrance, fill light, and blacks were increased.


5 & 6. Snow Cabin: 2-5-2011; 11:31 p.m.; Driggs. ID; f 6.3; 1/1250; Canon PowerShot SX130 IS
Fill light, brightness, contrast, clarity, vibrance, saturation, blacks, and sharpness was increased.


After editing each of the original images in Camera Raw, I opened the images in Photoshop to add some interesting border effects. For "Candy Apple" I created a double fade border. I did this by first, cropping the photo to 9x7 inches using the crop tool (C). Next, I changed the image size to canvas adding a 1 inch brown extension around the photo. Next, using the rectangle tool with shape layer selected, I drew a white box in the center of my photo. After adding a layer mask, I selected the rectangle tool again, but with fill pixels selected, and drew another rectangle in the center of the white rectangle. This allowed my picture to show through. I reduced the opacity of the white border, used the paint bucket tool to make the border light brow, and added a vertical and horizontal motion blur. As for, "Ice fall" I simply added a flexible vignette.  this was done by adding a new layer (Shift-Cmd-N) and filling said layer with black. Using the marquee tool, I cut out the center, then added a intense gaussian blur filter and lowered the opacity of the border slightly.  Lastly, for "Snow Cabin", I first added a slight paint dab filter then I hit Cmd-A to select the whole image and deleted everything. Using an assortment of heavy brushes from the brush pallet, I selected the history brush (Y) and painted back in the parts of the image I wanted. Then I added more canvas space at different colors to get the thick black and blue border.

3 comments:

  1. Nice work this week. I think the borders you chose are perfect for your pictures. They improved the pictures alot. I think you did a great job with the paint strokes (cabin) picture. Also your scanography was really good. I liked the one with your face. It made the picture so interesting. Nice choice of objects to put in the collage. I think it is so cool you put your face in there. The composition of the photo was great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have great borders on your pictures!!! I am very impressed with the shots as well as the choice of borders. I especially like the one of the building and the clouds. The colors you chose for the border looks great and brings out a few of the colors in the picture. I think the ice picture looked a little odd though...I'm not sure why; it was just my impression.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome shot Christi! Please bring Dustin and some of these to my next party...

    ReplyDelete