Welcome!

It is not the end that defines the traveler, but the journey.

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Scanography


Originals:







1. Flowing Hair: 2-11-2011; 11:29 p.m.; Rexburg; Cannon Scanner
Edited in Photoshop. Vibrance, saturation, brightness, and contrast were raised.

2. Wedding: (Combination of 3-5)
Used black and white paint to mask in and mask out parts of the images.

3-5. Wedding Items: 2-12-2011; 9:30 - 10:59 p.m.; Rexburg; Espon Scanner
 All three were slightly altered the same way in Camera Raw. The blacks were darkened while clarity, vibrnace, saturation, contrast, brightness, and recovery were all increased. Each image was slightly sharpened.


For "Flowing Hair", all I did was arrange the items of choice on the scanner, turn the lights in the room off, lay my hair across the surface of the scanner and hit the scan button. While that may sound like an easy process, it took several tries. The items you see in the picture (the scissors, comb, and necklace) were not the original items. I had to test several objects before I arrived to the displayed combination. Then there was the problem that sometimes I would accidentally moved while it was scanning or move an item out of place with my hair. Once I had complete the scan, I just added a few basic edits to make the scan more dynamic. As for the wedding combination, I scanned each item with a black cloth laid over it. Then, after making some general edits in Camera Raw, I opened all three of the photos in Photoshop. Deciding to use the veil as my base I double clicked the thumbnail to unlock the layer, then dragged the two other images and laid them on top of the veil. Next, I added masks to each layer. Using black paint, I masked out parts of the different layers I did not want to see (like the black background of the top image that was covering everything else). Next, I used gray so that the veil could cover part of the crown and the swatches, but the crown and swatches would still be visible.

1 comment:

  1. Cristi,

    I think your scan art came out great! The way you stacked your wedding scans to provide depth, and then the blending mode you used looks perfect. You also did a great job with your single scan. I wasn't able to get any scans of my face to work out since I couldn't hold still long enough, but yours have turned out quite sharp! The scan also has great composition, so good job!

    ReplyDelete