Welcome!

It is not the end that defines the traveler, but the journey.

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Enhancements

Portrait Enhancement:

Original:

 Edited:

Match Colors:

Edited:
Original:
Color Source:
Replace Color:

Original:
Edited:

Original:
Edited:

1 & 2. Snow Girl: 2-4-2011; 2:17 p.m.; Rexburg; f 4.5; 1/60; Canon PowerShot SX130 IS
Edits made to the original include, a white vignette, increased exposure, fill light, blacks, brightness, clarity, vibrance, and saturation. Edits made to the second version in Photoshop will be explained in the final paragraph.

3. Mountain Friends: A compilation of photos 4 and 5.
Extra edits include a slight gaussian blur, increased contrast,  and decreased brightness.

4. Mountain Friends (Orig. 1) : 2-5-2011; 10:57 a.m.; Driggs, ID; f 8.0; 1/60; Canon PowerShot SX130 IS
No edits have been made to this  photo. 

5. Mountain Friends (Orig. 2) : 2-5-2011; 10:57 a.m.; Driggs, ID; f 8.0; 1/320; Canon PowerShot SX130 IS 
On camera flash was accidentally used. Increased recovery, vibrance, saturation, fill light, and darkened blacks. Noise reduction was used. 

6 & 7. Sit Back and Laugh: 2-4-2011; 10:08 p.m.; Driggs, ID; f 4.0; 1/8; Canon PowerShot SX130 IS 
Exposure, recovery, fill light, blacks, brightness, contrast, clarity, vibrance, saturation, and luminance were increased. Shoe edit will be explained in the final paragrah.

8 & 9. Say Cheese: 1-29-2011; 12:25 p.m.; Rexburg; f 4.5; 1/8; Canon PowerShot SX130 IS 
Slight adjustments to vibrance, saturation, contrast, and brightness were made in Photoshop. Also some sharpness was added.

After editing "Snow Girl" in Camera Raw, I opened the image in Photoshop. Then I hit Ctrl J to make a copy of the background layer. On the copied layer, I acquired the brush tool by hitting B. Wanting to smooth out the harsh lighting on her face and lighten some problem areas, I held alt. This turned the brush into an eyedropper. I used the eyedropper and selected a color from her face below the harsh light and shadowed areas.  Next, on the "Mode" drop down box near the top of the screen, I selected the "Color Dodge" mode and moved the flow and opacity boxes next to the "Mode" drop down box to 30% each. Zooming in, I painted over the areas of her face I wished to smooth. I did not want to make her look plastic, so I only made a light enhancement. Using the same method, I then added a few highlights to her hair. Once I was done, I lightened the opacity of the entire area to make the enhancements blend better with the picture. Moving on, for "Mountain Friends" the original photo I took came out really blue due to a white balance problem. To be honest, I just forgot to change a few of my settings. Not realizing how blue the picture came out, I took a new picture from a different angle, while this photo did not turn out blue, the flash accidentally fired making the lighting a little to harsh. Since the colors were bright in the flash photo, but the positioning was better in the blue photo, I opened both pictures in Photoshop selected the image menu, went to adjustments, and selected match color. I selected the flash photo as my source and hit enter. Photoshop did the rest. Lastly, for "Sit Back and Laugh" and "Say Cheese", all I did was open the photo in Photoshop and use the lasso tool to make a rough selection around the item I wanted to be a different color. From there, I went to the image menu, adjustment, and replace color. After that, I just had to select the new color and play with the sliders until I found the effect I was looking for. 

 


1 comment:

  1. I love your edits and creativity you had to replace and match the color. I would have added more exposure and contrast to the snow girl picture to make it appear more vivid. Good job on replacing the shoe bottom color I like how it matches with her shirt and the environment as well. Your portraits are amazing, love the angle, composition and poses.

    ReplyDelete